A Funeral Sermon

As I consider a life that spanned more than four-score years, it seems somewhat presumptuous to try to do justice to it in a few sentences. How does one find words to fittingly mark the close of an earthly life? The person whose life we celebrate today, Mr. Lambert, preached a tremendous sermon every day of his daily life. He is a source of blessing to those who knew him. I would like to give my feelings and impressions by thinking of a few words.

FRIEND - "A man that has friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother." Prov. 18:24

I had a friend in Mr. Lambert. Often it is that a preacher is downcast. This man blessed my heart on several occasions when he told me - "Preachers have enough trouble as it is. I love my preachers and I'll help them all I can." I consider him to have been one of the best friend I have here.

There is another word that is deeper and more meaningful to me than the world friend. That is the world - CHRISTIAN. There is no finer word that can be used of anyone at a time like this and used without reservation or apology. I will mention two things: 1) He love the Book. With his Bible and quarterly on the end of his sofa during the week, he studied and feasted on God's Word and thus was able to feed others. 2) He love the Lord of the Book. The next to last Sunday that he was in church - on January 3rd - he walked down the aisle and said to me during the invitation - "I couldn't hear more than half of what you said, but if the invitation is what I understood - to live a better Christian life - I'm in favor of that." And I knew he meant it.

I feel pain in this gentleman's death. But I feel joy in his testimony of Christian faith and in the Lord of the Book - the Lord he served so long and so nobly.

My garden has roses red,
My garden has roses white,
But if when the day is sped
I stand by the gate at night,
One fragrance comes, when the day is dead
From my roses white and my roses red.

The roses of joy are red,
The roses of pain are white,
But I think, when the day is sped
And I stand by the gate at night,
I shall know just this, when the day is dead,
That a rose is sweet, be it white or red.
--- Percy Ainsworth ("Roses" - from Poems and Sonnets)

Lester Weatherhead wrote a book entitled "Why Do Men Suffer?" He closed it with these words -

"So, my friend, be of good cheer! When the long day is over, you will walk in the scented dusk down the last valley; and not alone, for He, the Companion of all men, has pledged his word to be with you. And at the end of that valley, all hushed and quiet, by velvet darkness folded in, you will see, shining through the trees, the lights of home. One evening the lamps will be lighted for you in the House of New Beginnings. And when you draw near to the house, you will hear music and dancing."

"In the beginning God..." You were made by God, not forces of nature. You are loved by God, for God is love. You are forgiven by God, though many find this hard to believe. You are sustained by God; "In Him we live, and move, and have our being." He is always, always at work. You are empowered by God; "God within you is your hope of glory." He is able to move us beyond our failures and mistakes; "All things work together for God. Without that we would be undone.

He gives life meaning and purpose; otherwise it would be a journey to nowhere. He will most assuredly receive us in the end.

Life in its essence is a preparation for death - of reunion with the Heavenly Father. He will welcome all of us prodigals, who chose to return to His house, with open and loving arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment